When you are craving a filling burger and you are observing Meatless Thursdays, why not make a grilled mushroom and veggie burger.
The ingredients I used, are the ingredients I enjoy! This burger can be altered in many different ways, but this is how I like it.
Grilled Mushroom Burger (serves 4)
- 1 large red capsicum (cut into 4 large pieces)
- 2 medium zucchini cut into long slices (4 per zucchini)
- 4 portobello mushroom, washed, and unstemmed
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 tomato cut in slices
- 1 avocado cut in slices
- 4 slices of cheese
- 2 tbs balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbs olive oil – divided
- Sesame burger buns
- American yellow mustard
- Clean are prepare grill
- Season cut capsicum and zucchini with salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic salt, cayenne pepper, and set aside
- Season mushrooms with the ingredients from step 2 plus balsamic vinegar
- Grill capsicum and zucchini until charred
- Place the mushrooms on the grill, GILL side UP, so as the mushrooms juices release to the center. Using tongs pick up the mushroom by the edge, keeping the juices in the center and pour into a metal mixing bowl or melt proof container. Put the mushroom back gill side down.
- Use the reserved mushroom juice to baste the mushrooms
- Cook until the mushrooms become flat
- Toast burger buns, optional: butter the toast
- Spread mayo on top and bottom bun.
- spread mustard on top bun
- On bottom bun place baby spinach, then tomato, onion, avacado, and season with salt and pepper
- On top bun cheese slice, then mushroom, capsicum, zucchini
- Optional: Splash of balsamic on top and bottom bun
- Close sandwich and enjoy!
*** You can assemble the burger any way you like, this is just how I like to assemble my burgers