When you throw a big dinner party, you make heaps of roast, and you don’t know what to do with the left overs; make some empanadas.
For this recipe I was able to use left over turkey and lamb from our Thanksgiving dinner. After freezing them, I took them a pre- Christmas party, where they were gone before anyone could say “Happy Holidays”. I tried the recipe again after with left over Christmas roast and they turn out perfectly golden from the outside and juicy from the inside.
Left Over Empanadas (makes 26)
3 cups All purpose flour
1/3 cup corn meal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter
1/2-3/4 cup water
1 tbs coconut oil
1 1/2 lb of left over roast (lamb, chicken, turkey) diced
1 onion, diced
3-5 garlic, minced
1 red capsicum
1 green capsicum
3 – 4 white potatoes, par boiled (or left over roasted potatoes)
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp salt
1 tbs crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tbs cayenne powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tbs oregano
1/2 tbs paprika
1 tbs worchestire sauce
1 tbs tomato paste
1/2 cup chicken broth
OPT: 2-3 tbs left over cranberry sauce
- Start with dough: In a large mixing bowl sift flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Stir in melted butter.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and continue to knead. Keep adding about 1 tbs of water as needed until firm and not sticky.
- If the dough becomes too sticky add about 1 tbs of flour
- Roll the dough into a ball, wrap with plastic, and let cool in fridge for about 30 mins.
- Heat coconut oil in a deep frying pan and add onions, fry for about 2-3 minute, and add minced garlic; sauté until garlic is fragrant about 1 minute
- Add capsicum and cook until soft
- Add seasonings
- Add meat and sautè for 1-2 minutes; until flavors are incorporated.
- Add worchestire sauce, tomato paste, chicken broth, and cranberry sauce
- Stir in diced par boiled/left over potatoes and cook for about 7 mins on medium heat
- Once mixture is well incorporated remove from heat and let cool
- Remove dough from fridge and make gold ball size balls of dough
- With some dusted flour roll out dough until about 1/4 in thick
- Place a spoonful of fill in center of rolled dough
- Fold to the edges and crimp closed
- Place on prepared baking try and bake for 20-25 mins until crust is golden
- ***Can fill dough, freeze on a tray, and vacuum seal them for later use. Best when used within 3 months of making