When you feel like feeding your soul and its a cold winter day, then why not make some Hot and Sour Soup.
This is a simple soup that hits the spot and is easy to make. Some broth, mushrooms, and eggs is what you need to make this a meal. Warm soup on a cold day makes all the worries fade away.
Hot and Sour Soup
- 1/2 cup dried shittake mushrooms
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs rice vinegar
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1/2 tbs sriracha
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbs corn starch
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Soak dried mushroom in warm water for 10 minutes
- While mushroom are rehydrating grate garlic and ginger
- In a small bowl combine rice vinegar, soy sauce, sriracha, grated ginger and garlic; whisk
- Transfer mushroom with the water in a large, deep pot and add chicken broth leaving 1/2 cup for later use
- Pour the soy sauce mixture into the soup pot and mix well
- Bring soup to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes
- While soup is simmering mix remaining chicken broth with cornstarch and mix
- Pour into soup and simmer for 5 mintues
- While soup is simmering scramble eggs
- After soup has simmered for about 5 minutes stir the soup and pour egg mixture in a thin stream into the soup to create a ribbon effect
- Garnish soup with chopped spring onion and sesame oil and enjoy!
** If I had diced firm tofu and strips of seaweed I would add that to the soup too.
** If the soup tastes too sour add more sriracha pepper to help balance the tanginess