When you feel like feeding your soul and its a cold winter day, then why not make some Hot and Sour Soup.
This is a simple soup that hits the spot and is easy to make. Some broth, mushrooms, and eggs is what you need to make this a meal. Warm soup on a cold day makes all the worries fade away.
Hot and Sour Soup
- 1/2 cup dried shittake mushrooms
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs rice vinegar
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1/2 tbs sriracha
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbs corn starch
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Soak dried mushroom in warm water for 10 minutes
- While mushroom are rehydrating grate garlic and ginger
- In a small bowl combine rice vinegar, soy sauce, sriracha, grated ginger and garlic; whisk
- Transfer mushroom with the water in a large, deep pot and add chicken broth leaving 1/2 cup for later use
- Pour the soy sauce mixture into the soup pot and mix well
- Bring soup to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes
- While soup is simmering mix remaining chicken broth with cornstarch and mix
- Pour into soup and simmer for 5 mintues
- While soup is simmering scramble eggs
- After soup has simmered for about 5 minutes stir the soup and pour egg mixture in a thin stream into the soup to create a ribbon effect
- Garnish soup with chopped spring onion and sesame oil and enjoy!
** If I had diced firm tofu and strips of seaweed I would add that to the soup too.
** If the soup tastes too sour add more sriracha pepper to help balance the tanginess
One Comment Add yours
Nom nom nom! Perfect for coldy flu riddled winter time. Nothing clears the sinuses quite like a delicious home made hot and sour soup 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person