When you are planning on cooking South Indian food because your diet typically consists of rice, lentil, and stew, then why not make some Dosa Potatoes to have with some Dosa!
This potato recipe is easy to create and delicious to eat. Normally you would eat this with a Dosa (Indian lentil and rice crepe), like an burrito. Or if you do not feel like spending the day making Dosa batter, you can purchase Dosa batter premix at your local Indian supermarket or make some roti and eat the traditional Gujarati way! Any way you try this, it will surely make your mouth water.
- 4-6 medium potatoes, diced
- 2-3 medium onions, sliced
- 3-4 chilis, split
- 16-20 curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp Split chickpeas (chana dal)
- 1 tsp black gram lentil (urad dal)
- 1/4 tsp asafetida (hing)
- 1-2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- handful cilantro, chopped
- Heat coconut oil in a wide, deep frying pan
- Once oil is hot then add: mustard seed, chana dal, urad dal, and hing and let sizzle until fragrant
- Ad onions, chilis, curry leaves and mix well
- Add diced potatoes; mix well again
- Season with salt, chili powder, and turmeric; mix well
- Cover and cook on low temperature, mixing occasionally to prevent potatoes from sticking to pan for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Garnish with cilantro; mix well,
- Place potatoes at the center of the Dosa crepes, served with coconut chutney and enjoy!