When you are out grocery shopping and you see large fresh crab in the supermarket, they are in season, so you buy some, bring them home, clean them up, and make delicious Crab Curry.
We often make this delicious curry at home because there is a certain level of satisfaction in breaking through the crab body and legs, getting that meat at the end. When having crab you must be prepared to get your hands dirty. My husband likes to get through few crab shell and enjoy little bit as he goes with his roti and I like to break through all the crab shell and retrieve all of the meat and enjoy at once with rice!
- 4-8 whole crabs, claws removed, split in half
- 1/2 can tomato puree
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 4-5 tbs fish masala, divided
- 1 tbs gram flour (chana flour)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 can coconut cream
- cilantro for garnish
- Wash and clean while crab
- Marinate with salt and 2-3 tbs fish masala
- In a deep pot heat coconut oil, sizzle methi and curry leaves
- Once methi is fragrant add 1 tsp fish masala and chana flour; cook the flour for 1-2 minutes
- Pour tomato puree and mix well
- Place marinated crab in pot and fill with water just to cover the crab, bring to a boil, and simmer for 30-45 minutes depending on the size of the crab
- Pour beaten egg, stirring as you pour
- Stir in coconut cream and cook for 5 minutes
- Garnish with cilantro and enjoy with rice or roti!