When rice is life so you eat it with dhal and yogurt because let’s be honest, it’s simple yet bursting with flavor! Having Dhal Masala ready on hand gives you the convenience of having all the flavors you need in a few teaspoons , then why not prepare this Dhal Masala when you want that
In Gujarati we call ‘dhal’, ‘dhar’ which translated to, lentil soup. ‘Dhar’ is a dish that all of the people in our community grew up eating. ‘Dhar’ was made at almost every dinner party, wedding, reception, and even some lazy Sundays! Having dhal masala on hand makes it easy as cooking the lentils and adding the masala!
- 2 oz fenugreek seeds
- 1 oz whole cumin seeds
- 12 oz whole coriander
- 1 oz black mustard seed
- 1/2 lb chili powder
- 15 tsp hing (asafoetida)
- 1/4 lb turmeric powder
- handful dry curry leaves
- In a heavy metal dish lightly toast fenugreek seeds, whole cumin, whole coriander and whole mustard seeds separately
- Mix toasted spices and grind in a spice grinder and sift
- Mix in chili powder, hing, turmeric, and dry curry leaves; mix well
- Store in an air tight container up to 1 year.
- Keep small amount in a smaller container for every day use.