When you are in the mood for bold spices and something easy, then Chicken Kheema is perfect go to.
This dish has mesmerizing fragrances that will send your olfactory senses for a spin. The tender morsels of minced chicken marry the softened potato wedges to create a bright and warm curry.
Chicken Kheema (Minced Chicken Curry)
1 lb Chicken, minced
1 tbs Ghee
1 Bay Leaf
1 inch of Cinnamon
1 Anise Flower
4-6 Whole cloves
1 tsp Dhana-Jeeru (ground coriander-cumin)
½ tsp Chili Powder
½ tsp Turmeric
½ tsp Curry Powder
1 tsp Garam Masala
Salt to taste
1 small Onion, Diced
¼ cup tomato sauce
1 medium potato, quartered
[1 tbs Green masala ***
4 large Garlic Cloves, Minced
1½ inch Ginger, Minced
1-2 Serrano Pepper, minced]
¼ cup Water
Cilantro for garnish
- In a medium sized pot heat up ghee and add Bay leaf, cinnamon, anise flower, and whole clove to TEMPER.
- Once whole spices are aromatic, add the diced onion, and cook on medium heat until onions are soft.
- Add the minced chicken and stir with a flat spatula until the meat starts crumbling and goes from pink to white.
- Add spices dhana-jeeru, chili powder, turmeric, curry powder, and salt. Give it a mix.
- Add green masala or the garlic-ginger-serrano pepper mixture and tomato sauce. Give a nice stir.
- Add a bit of water just to cover most of the meat and add quartered potatoes.
- Bring to a boil, slow to a simmer, and cook for 12-15 minutes. Until the potatoes are soft.
- Season with garam masala and cilantro. Give it a mix and ENJOY with rice or roti!